How Can Anarchists and Autonomous Socialists Learn (and Dissent) from Marx’s Marxism?
Saturday, September 25, 12-3 PM EST
(See time zone converter if you’re in a different location to make sure you get the time right.)
From their origins, anarchism and Marxism have overlapped with each other in many ways. Their goals were a socialist society, without classes, States, or other forms of oppression—to be achieved by an international revolution of the working class and all oppressed people. Yet the mainstream of Marxism devolved into totalitarian state capitalism, while the anarchists continued to advocate a society of freedom, equality, and cooperation. Why did they diverge? Still many anarchists, from Michael Bakunin to Daniel Guerin, believed that there were valuable aspects of Marx’s theories from which anarchists could learn. What were these aspects? How can using anarchism and aspects of Marxism help deal with the current set of political, economic, ecological, and military crises which threaten all of society?
Facilitator: Wayne Price. Long-time revolutionary, activist, theorist, and writer. Author of The Value of Radical Theory: An Anarchist Introduction to Marx’s Critique of Political Economy, and The Abolition of the State: Anarchist and Marxist Perspectives, His many essays may be found on the Anarchist Library site. An “independent scholar,” he has a doctorate in psychology.
- Wayne Price, The Value of Radical Theory—at least the Introduction and chaps. 1, 4, 7. Purchase at Firestorm Books.
- Wayne Price, “The Marxist Paradox: An Anarchist Critique”
- Wayne Price, “Living through the Decline of Capitalism”
- $30 – Member Ticket for Incite Seminars Patreon Supporters at any level
- $45 – Non-Member (True Cost) Ticket
- $90 – Generous Supporter Ticket
- $15 – Student/Contingent Scholar/Activist Ticket
- Solidarity pay-what-you-can tickets are also available for those who cannot afford any of the above tiers. Please email us.
Please register by buying a ticket at our Eventbrite page. We are committed to making all our offerings accessible to those who are eager to learn, regardless of financial means. If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.