Postcolonial Astrology and Mercury
Alice Sparkly Kat
Monday August, 23rd, 3-6 PM EST.
(See time zone converter if you’re in a different location to make sure you get the time right.)
What makes western astrology western? How does western astrology work differently than other astrologies? In what ways is astrology climate or geography based and how has the histories of migration changed astrology?
In Postcolonial Astrology and Mercury, Alice Sparkly Kat tells a story about astrology, which is really a cosmological story about race. We will be treating astrology as a living language that changes based on its participants and usage. After looking at astrology through the work of Sylvia Wynter, Lisa Lowe, and Loren Goldner, we will consider an etymology of Mercury. Mercury is the planet that astrologically rules astrology itself and, by exploring the myths of Hermes and other tricksters like him, we consider the meta-question of what astrology has to say about itself. Through these explorations, we will ask ourselves the question: if astrology is a language, then what are we able to use astrology to talk about?
This workshop is for anyone who likes astrology, who uses it to flirt, who laughs at astrology memes, or is in deep communal practice. You do not have to be an expert in astrology to participate.
- Postcolonial Astrology by Alice Sparkly Kat, available from Mil Mundos (a mutual aid network/bookstore) and North Atlantic Books (use code PCA35 with NAB for a discount) (relevant selections from this text will be made available to registered participants)
- Race and Enlightenment by Loren Goldner
- Unsettling the Coloniality of Being by Sylvia Wynter
- Intimacies of Four Continents by Lisa Lowe
Alice Sparkly Kat is an astrologer. They use astrology to re-chart a history of the subconscious, redefine the body in world, and reimagine history as collective memory. Their astrological work has inhabited MoMA, Philadelphia Museum of Art, and The Brooklyn Museum. They’re the author of Postcolonial Astrology (May 2021).
- $30 – Member Ticket for Incite Seminars Patreon Supporters at any level
- $45 – Non-Member (True Cost) Ticket
- $90 – Generous Supporter Ticket
- $15 – Student/Contingent Scholar/Activist Ticket
- Solidarity pay-what-you-can tickets are also available for those who cannot afford any of the above tiers. Please email us.
Please register by buying a ticket at our Eventbrite page. We are committed to making all our offerings accessible to those who are eager to learn, regardless of financial means. If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.