(Non)Buddhist Practice Posse
Day: Mondays, every other week
March 2021: 1st, 15th, 29th
Facilitator: Glenn Wallis
The (Non)Buddhist Practice Posse involves two main activities.
- The Great Feast of Knowledge. We offer a lively reading and discussion group on topics related to “practice” from various fields, such as ethics, ritual, philosophy, psychoanalysis, and beyond. Our dialogue is along the lines of “non-buddhism.” Here is a brief description of that concept. Here is a description of the Feast concept.
- Toward a non-buddhist practice. This involves a collective reconceptualization of buddhist/contemplative/anthropotechnical practice along materialist (i.e., non-idealist), socially-responsible lines. The current “root text” is Stranger Sutra. As a group member, a link will be provided that enables you to participate in the ongoing editing of this text.
The aim of non-buddhism is to “wrest the vital potentialities” that Buddhist theory and practice hold for the person, but to disable certain problematic tendencies associated with religions. We will explore, in practice and in theory, for example, how we might understand and benefit from the concept of “no-self” subtracted from the numerous over-determining Buddhist ideas that accompany this concept. The assumption is that the concept will then, and perhaps only then, become valuable material in our current situation.
For basic orientation, we recommend reviewing the following:
- “In Augury of Oneness Restored.” This is the heuristic for non-buddhism.
- The slides for the seminar “Toward a Non-Buddhist Contemplative Practice.”
- Essays on the blog Speculative Non-Buddhism
There are two ways to join:
Patreon Supporter ($10+): If you are an Incite Seminars Patreon supporter at $10 level or higher, group participation is included in your membership! If you’re not a regular member of the group, we still ask that you register for the complimentary ticket below so we can share the meeting information. You will also be added to our group discussion Slack channel.
Drop-In Ticket: If you’re curious about the group but aren’t ready to commit your ongoing support, you can contribute any amount you are able and inspired to. Typically, people donate $10 per session. If you are opting for the drop-in ticket, please register at Eventbrite for the date you plan to attend. Thank you!
We communicate, post links and readings, etc., at Circle. Please sign up, and join the fun!