Ludic Liberation Lab
Can play be political? Can games change the world? Is the entire social system just a rigged game whose rules we’ve made up long ago but forgot to change for the evolving future? It is through play that we learn the world as children, and by playing with it as adults that we can learn to liberate ourselves from its pretend constraints. Play expands our notions of what’s possible and brings us closer to the source of creation, helping us—through playful obfuscation—to better see things as they really are. Play is not only human (birds and electrons play too!) but humans are especially creative at it, having designed countless genres of challenge-based, symbolic activity to be engaged in for their own sake. From the Situationists International’s playful psychogeography of dérive to Augusto Boal’s Theater of the Oppressed to Monopoly’s anti-capitalist origin in The Landlord’s Game, a growing movement of social change and activist game designers are harnessing the ancient ludic tradition to teach political strategy, experiment with forms of collective liberation, and build a new revolutionary imaginary. In this charged time of class struggle and climate catastrophe, we urgently need each other to play!
Incite Seminars invites you to join Ludic Liberation Lab—a group to explore personally transformative and political games, game-based pedagogy, and playful facilitation techniques. We gather together to play and learn from a variety of game experiences, role plays and participatory simulations, theater exercises, and immersive and personal games as tools for political education and social change. Meetings include collective play, exploration of game mechanics and facilitation strategies, and collaborative design activities.
Place: Online during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Time: Second Thursday of every month, from 6:00-8:30pm. May meet on other additional days, if feeling extra playful.
Cost: Ludic Liberation Lab is a contribute-what-you-can adventure. Join if you’re curious, give what you’re inspired. We suggest $15+/-15. 😉
Registration: Please fill out this form to join the group and receive updates of future events!
- April 8, 2021 – Playing with WASTE
- March 11, 2021 – BODY LANGUAGE w/ Thirdspace Somatics
- February 11, 2021 – FAILING AT GENDER w/Indigo Esmonde
- January 14, 2021 – Playing with Our Best-Laid Plans
- December 10, 2020 –CONVERSATION GAMES w/ Aaron Finbloom
- November 12, 2020 – Playing with RULES
- October 8, 2020 – MIND GAMES w/ Sir Lyra Hill
- September 10, 2020 – Getting Birdy w/KOSMOLOGYM
- August 13, 2020 – Playing with DESIRE
- July 9, 2020 – Philosophy Games w/IKANTKOAN
- June 11, 2020 – Anti-Racism Slumber Party
- May 14, 2020 – Becoming Sovereignly Useless (playing with KNOWING)
- April 9, 2020 – Playing with Quarantine TIME
- March 12, 2020 – Chance, Change & the Eternal Return
- February 6, 2020 – Prefiguring the Post-Capitalist Playground. . .
Ludic Liberation Lab
Make a one-time charitable donation!
Please pitch in for a participant who can’t otherwise afford a seminar but is in need of a creative, emotional, or intellectual boost. You can increase your donation by “buying” more than one $5 increment. Any amount helps. Thank you very much.